Lead is an element that has proven to be extremely harmful to the health of people when inhaled or ingested. The effects are even more detrimental to the neurological system in the cases of children under the age of 6.
One can be exposed to lead in the following ways; inhalation of particles containing lead in the form of dust in the air or soil, ingestion of foods containing the element from water or soil and ingestion of water that is contaminated by lead in the form of paint chips, soil or dust. Lead poisoning has no unique signs and should be treated with extreme caution. Early symptoms include irritability, reduced attention span, loss of appetite, fatigue, insomnia and stomach discomfort. These symptoms can lead to even more drastic effects such as: